Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Power Issue 2014: Club Kids

Good morning bloggers! If you are reading this post as it is being published, then you are absolutely my soulmate.  If you are looking to know a little more about me, then you should know that 5 AM is the time I wake up every single morning.  2 out of the 7 days in a week, I am doing it because I have to in order to get ready for work in time.  The other 5 days, I get up at 5 AM because I just love doing it.  Most people look at me like I am completely insane when I tell them that, but this is just my hour.  This is my favorite time of the day, so if you are reading this at 5 AM on a Tuesday morning, welcome to my world and feel free to leave a comment so we know we're not alone.  Now, to the actual point of this post......

Towards the end of this issue of Vogue, there is a tiny article only a paragraph long written about Derek Ridgers.  Most people probably won't even read it, but I found it fascinating.  Derek Ridgers was a photographer in the late 70's who photographed British fashion icons such as Boy George and John Galliano.  This tiny paragraph in the magazine covers a sliver of Ridgers and why he photographed these young kids trying to make it in the fashion and music industry, yet it manages to be so powerful in such a small amount of space.

I decided to include this article in my blog because it signifies a very important voice.  Ridgers acted as a voice for these kids in their late teens and early twenties who didn't quite have their own yet.  I mean, he helped shape the future of London fashion.  The late 70's was a huge time for London; everyone was creating their own thing the world had never seen before, whether that be fashion, music, film, or writing, and everyone wanted to be noticed.  Ridgers helped make that happen, which makes him one of the most influential men in the creative world and a savior to these young people who meant so much to us then...and still mean so much to so many of us now.


No comments:

Post a Comment