Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Shape Issue 2014: Letter From The Editor

In her letter, Anna Wintour somehow mollified my confusion and worry for the magazine.  She starts it off by explaining that she understands how controversial this cover is going to be.  I like that she came right out and said it; she didn't treat it as if it was no big deal.  Kim and Kanye being on the cover of anything that isn't a tabloid is a monumental deal, and I'm glad Wintour addressed it.

This issue is traditionally the Shape Issue.  It is the issue that focuses on people who help to shape our world; people who do things differently first for the rest of us.  After reading this letter, I realized that although Kim and Kanye are difficult to respect and take seriously, they do shape our world an awful lot.  Their child, relationship, and wedding has a huge impact on society; it is talked about all over the world...or at least, my world.

When I first heard that Kim and Kanye were going to be on the cover (because you better believe it was talked about long before it came out), I thought Vogue was only doing that to save themselves.  Unfortunately, Vogue isn't that popular of a magazine, simply because it only appeals to a small audience (fashionable women).  I thought maybe Vogue was making an attempt to regain popularity by putting the world's biggest controversy on the cover.  It made sense to me.  However, after reading Wintour's letter, I understand her point completely.  Whether you love them or hate them, you cannot deny the fact that Kim and Kanye are shapers.  Everyone wants to know what the latest is in their lives, whether you want to support them or make fun of them in greater detail.  The issue is going to be talked about, and it is going to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment